Thursday, October 9, 2008

Are blogs safe?


I recently read a really good book called "Say Goodbye" by Lisa Gardner. The book was about a man called the Burgerman. He was a horrible, terrible person who was also a pedophile. He would kidnap his victims and keep them as long as they served their purpose and then dispose of them like garbage. Well one little boy he "kept" for 10 years until one day the boy was a man and he killed his captor. This boy then became the Burgerman. He continued the work until he later died in the book. The part that chills me the most are the phrases at the end of the book about my children. (No, not my children directly, but all our children.) The author made a point to say that if we had Myspace, Facebook or blogs he was already in our children's minds. This was meant to scare us into being proactive. There are horrible people out there just waiting to use our children in the worst possible ways. As long as we can we should protect them. It scared me senseless. I have Myspace, Facebook and this blog. I have put pictures of my children on all of them. Needless to say the following day I pulled as many pictures as I could from those websites. My job is to protect my children to the best of my ability not make it easy for these "humans" to reach them. Please protect your children. Make sure of whose reading your blogs. Make sure you have no important or clarifying information on your blogs. Or your worst fear might come true.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

That's a good point! It is scary to think about how much we open our lives to complete strangers on the internet! Was it a good book other than wierding you out?

NinjaMom said...

It was a very good book! She is an excellent author. I recommend any of her books.